Thursday, April 1, 2010

write on

It is April. Already. Is it just me or is this year flying?

Spring in Boston thus far has been a mix of torrential rain and unseasonably warm weather. Thanks, global warming!

Indeed, April is the cruelest month, aaand with that in mind, it's also National Poetry Writing Month!

I've been feeling a little bit lost with my writing in recent weeks, or rather I should say, I find that hours I aim to spend doing creative writing at my computer have very easily been flitting away. When I spend a decent amount of my time, some of it for work, scouring the internet that is not at all difficult to do. I'm the kind of person who if there is text in front of me I need to read it. If there are pretty pictures in front of me I need to see them. So online that amounts to needing more, more, more and just falling farther and farther down the rabbit hole, and then hours pass until I reach information overload.

So. I have started again, wait for it... putting pen to paper. And writing in a journal. Nightly. As opposed to sporadically. In various journals and on scraps of paper. (I still do that too, which is totally fine though.) Which has led to all sorts of amazing developments. Like going to bed earlier. Reading even more. Checking in with my planner at the end of one day, planning the next, and being more productive overall. Wearing my retainer. (Yes, seriously, as it's home is on my night table by the aforementioned journal.) All of these things. I think when writing anything of length it is easier, for obvious reasons, to work at a computer. But it's such a good way to focus, and, well, to quiet the ever buzzing mind to unplug in this way. I find that to cut out some computer time helps me make better use of my time when actually behind the keyboard. And I've been feeling more motivated and inspired as a result. So I'll be doing the whole NaPoWriMo thing-- in the journal, not on here-- and hopefully come out of the month with some more good raw writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment